When Court is necessary, our litigators are on-hand.

We will skillfully navigate and advocate for you through the Court process.

Exchange of Legal Documents

If negotiation is not appropriate or possible in the circumstances, then we may recommend starting legal proceedings. Your lawyer prepares all legal documents, submitting all unresolved issues to the court for its decision on your behalf.

Your lawyer files the documents in the court and serves them on your spouse. They then have an opportunity to file materials in response. Sometimes we will file materials responding to his or her response. The Court calls these documents the “pleadings”.

Interim Proceedings

Because it takes a fair amount of time to have a matter decided at trial, we may recommend that you bring an “interim motion” when you need immediate help. Common examples are when you require maintenance for yourself and/or children, custody or restraining order, or exclusive occupancy of the family home. Evidence is presented in a sworn Affidavit to a Judge who makes a decision based on the Affidavits after hearing arguments from both lawyers. Sometimes before the Judge hears the motion, we will recommend that we cross-examine your spouse on his or her Affidavit. This is advisable if it conflicts greatly with your evidence. Your spouse’s lawyer may exercise his or her right to cross-examine you on your Affidavit as well.


You and your spouse will exchange copies of documents relevant to the case by each filing an “Affidavit as to documents”. An “Examination for Discovery” is generally then scheduled and you will be examined under oath before a court reporter by your spouse’s lawyer. You will be briefed by us about the types of questions that might be asked prior to the discovery being held. We will have an opportunity to examine your spouse as well.

Referral to Mediation

At any point in this process, you and your spouse may use mediation to resolve some or all of the outstanding issues. In mediation, you meet in face to face discussions with your spouse. With the assistance of a neutral mediator, you each state your point of view. The mediation helps you to clarify the issues and negotiate to reach a mutually acceptable agreement.

Custody/Access Assessments

When separating parents have tried and failed to reach an agreement on the care of their children, they may choose to proceed to court. In some instances, the Judge may order a psychological assessment of the parents and the children. An assessment is a process in which a psychologist spends time with you, your spouse, and your children. They then write a report which will help the Judge make a decision that is good for your family. The assessment helps determine the best possible plan for the care of the children under the circumstances. The assessor will generally meet with the parents separately to examine the concerns and parenting plans of each party and will generally spend some time with each parent with the children.

A psychologist interviews family members, teachers, daycare workers, etc. They then write a report and submit it to the court. They provide copies to each party’s lawyer. At this point, you may choose to resolve the matter by agreement using the report as a guideline. If the case goes to trial, a lawyer may submit the report to the court as evidence. While the report is an important part of all of the evidence that the court will consider in a trial, it is not decisive. The final decision rests with the Judge who will hear from the parents and witnesses called on their behalf.

Pre-Trial Conference

Before a case goes to trial, the court will require at least one pre-trial hearing before a Judge in order to ascertain if any of the issues are capable of settlement and whether the case is fully ready for trial. You do not need to attend this hearing which generally takes about 30 minutes.

The Trial

If there are issues that have still not been settled at this stage then the matter will proceed to a trial. A Judge will hear evidence from all witnesses and make a decision that is binding on the parties. It generally takes over two years to reach the point where there is a trial. Trials take one day, several days, or even weeks depending on how complicated the issues are and how many witnesses will be called.


Almost any Order or Judgment can be appealed to the Court of Appeal if it contains some serious error in fact or law. There is a provision for a further appeal to the Supreme Court of Canada. Family law cases rarely do this.

Useful Links

Alberta Courts
Court services, resources, forms, judgments, and contact information

Alberta Justice & Solicitor General > Families
Resources and programs provided by Alberta Justice, including Family Justice Services, the Maintenance Enforcement Program and the Child Support Recalculation Program

Law Society of Alberta
Information for the public about finding and working with a lawyer, legal professional regulation and protecting the public interest

Collaborative Divorce Alberta Association
Information and resources about Collaborative Law in Alberta

Justice Laws Website (Federal Legislation) 
Online source of the consolidated Acts and regulations of Canada

Alberta Queen’s Printer (Provincial Legislation)
The official source of Alberta government laws and publications


A free database of court judgments, tribunal decisions, statutes and regulations from all Canadian jurisdictions