Lonny L. Balbi, Q.C. is a lawyer who actively practices in Family Law. He is an accredited Family Mediator, Arbitrator and Collaborative Family Lawyer. He is a member of the Federal Advisory Working Group on Family Law in Ottawa, and one of a group of experts who advised the Department of Justice on the implementation of the Spousal Support Advisory Guidelines released in January, 2005.
He is a founding member of the Dispute Resolution Officer Pilot Project and currently a Dispute Resolution Officer in Calgary. He has Chaired the Canadian Bar Association Family Law Section in Alberta. He was also the Canadian Bar Association National Family Law Section Chair. He has presented at several conferences on various Family Law topics throughout the world, including Romania and the USA.
He teaches courses to Canadian Family Law Judges. He also teaches the Parenting After Separation Course, a course which is mandatory for separating parents. He is an instructor at the University of Calgary Faculty of Law teaching Advanced Family Law. He has published numerous articles in Family Law.
- Bachelor of Commerce (with Distinction), University of Calgary
- Bachelor of Laws, University of Saskatchewan
- Member of the Law Society of Alberta
- Member of the Canadian Bar Association, Southern Alberta Branch
- Member of the Calgary Bar Association
- Fellow of the International Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers
Lonny volunteers for the Mustard Seed serving food on a weekly basis to Calgary’s homeless, teaches aerobics and is a fitness enthusiast.